- Reddit is better than Slashdot. There. I said it. #
- Can we have another film like Mean Girls? Pretty please? #
- @masterkari I think you might want to turn that into a short story for children. #
- @cjhubbs Isn't it, though? I'm ready to watch it again. #
- @dmpontious Oh my goodness, yes. I watched a brew kettle get to temperature once. Thankfully I had some beer to keep me company. #
- @SideSteamRoller EVIL. #
- Never thought I'd see the day Linux 3.0 came out. #
- Brainless baby-making machines making more brainless baby-making machines. That's not fair, but I don't care. #
- Why does Britain have so many political dramas but the US has so few? #
- @masterkari Indeed. #
- @amandakandrews The US is full of political crazy. #
- @masterkari Except I think there is one already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_the_Fuck_to_Sleep #
- I want to become premier of Ontario just so I could bust up all the government-mandated monopolies here. #
- So Embassytown is an interesting book. Not quite sure about it, actually. #
- @gfmorris Oh yeah, that's BAD. #
- Oh good gravy, how I love Neutral Milk Hotel. #
- On a scale of Gary Busey to John Malkovich, today is very much a Willem Dafoe. #
- @peter_vk Bell, Rogers, LCBO, Chapters, all of them. I mean, there's only so much a premier can do, but I could start. #
- @peter_vk And I don't care if it's a crown corp or whatever. Mandated monopoly is almost always bad. #
- @gfmorris I don't understand 3/4 of the things you say. #
- @picturingjulie Nothing wrong with golf! That fire can't fix! #
- @gfmorris Ah. Now I understand but I don't care 😉 #
- @BeautifulMess81 And start a blog about learning. Call it "Thread Level". #
- @gfmorris Fair enough. Can't be passionate about everything! #
- @picturingjulie Or watching paint dry! Also just as fun as golf or fishing! #
- I find interacting with certain people… exhausting. #
- @BeautifulMess81 That seems enjoyable on all sorts of levels. #
- @BeautifulMess81 YES. #
- @picturingjulie Different brushstrokes for different folks or something like that. #
- @gfmorris The Oxford comma, logical punctuation, and anything makes a sentence easier to parse is called "good sense". #
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style/quotation_and_punctuation // Sweet mother of Wales. That's… a lot of talk. #
- @gfmorris Please also note that I used both an Oxford comma and logical punctuation in that very sentence. #
- @keithjgrant Put that shit on a spool, bro! #
- @gfmorris I aim to please! #
- Photo: http://tumblr.com/xho2rn8kzs #
Recently, whilst eating Indian food, someone mentioned that it seems the hotter the climate, the hotter (spicier) the food.
Is this true? It seems to be.
If so, why? It seems counter-intuitive.
- My head hurts. #
- Good morning, you lamers. #
- @cjhubbs For you? Good morning! #
- Government mandated price-fixing is always bad. Always. #
- "I would be curious if the threat of withholding health services could be considered duress." #quotes // I'm curious too. #
- Google Wallet is a good move. #
- @cjhubbs Why thank you, kind sir! It is indeed a happy Friday. #
- @quietcjhubbs Hells no. Go for it! #
- @peter_vk TEN THOUSAND YEARS! #
- @peter_vk You would think they'd launch here sooner. We have PayPass at every Tim Hortons 🙂 #
- Watching my father use technology is unbearable. #
- "There's been talk of chemical imbalances." #quotes #
- Wow, my tweets hit Google really, really fast. #
- When it comes to navigating a GUI, I am all keyboards and efficiency. #
- I love TED's video descriptions. "JAW-DROPPING". What about all the mediocre talks? Where's "DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO WATCH"? #
- @robbieandrewsev Like "Brian" the dog from Family Guy? #
- France attempts to impose e-book prices on Apple, others
Shared by DanielDeboer
THE NUTTERS ARE TAKING OVER PART THE THIRD
Sorry, Apple—French publishers will set the price you can charge for their e-books, according to a new French law.
Passed last week by both houses of the French parliament, the new law updates France’s 1981 “Lang Law” setting prices for paper books. Under that law, publishers could print their price on the back cover a book and every bookstore in the country had to sell it for about that price. A tiny 5 percent discount was the maximum allowed by law, as Amazon found out years ago when a judge held it liable for violating the Lang Law by offering free shipping on its books. (This amounted to more than 5 percent off the list price.)
- "A good pun is its own reword." #quotes #
- http://correlate.googlelabs.com/ is pretty cool. #
- If the rules are fair, the outcome can still suck. It's called initial conditions. Sometimes we need unfair rules to balance that out. #
- There's great value in seeking out and listening to people who disagree with you. #
- "There's only so much air you can squeeze out of a baboon." #quotes // Yes, I suppose that's true. #
- @masterkari Time to get the university applications rolling! #
- I sometimes think sermons need citations. Wikipedia really has raised the bar for everything, hasn't it? #
- Noisetrade without Flash? NICE. #
- I just got some free music from @MatthewMayfield on @noisetrade. Download it here: http://t.co/qypktJw #
- @SideSteamRoller You noticed that, did you. #
- @cjhubbs @brannonmc Congratulations are in order. It's not a pain to use anymore! It's useful and pretty! #
- @rachellebaits @SideSteamRoller Sokay, I did a few doubletakes before I got it myself 🙂 #
- @gfmorris And for things like affirmative action. #
- @gfmorris Really? #
- @cjhubbs What's UML modeling? #
- @cjhubbs Is any of that auto-generated code going into production? #
- @gfmorris @sechastain @cjhubbs What a bunch of nerds we are 🙂 #
- @cjhubbs One would hope 😉 Do you think we're going to see a lot more of that happening, sort of the way HTML and CSS are generated now? #
- Jefferson St by J.D. Vernon – Fantastic song. #
- @sechastain SO true. Hate trackpads. #
- @gfmorris I'm pretty sure the nerd will always be with you. #
- @cjhubbs @sechastain Perhaps the improvement isn't in the code itself but the removal of the human labour component. #
- Just discovered the Object Browser. Well, that makes things so much easier. #
- Google has picked all the low-hanging search fruit. That leaves them with two option for their future. #
- @firefox 4 app tabs. Zoho CRM, Gmail, internal admin page #1 and admin #2 Work browsing ftw! #
- "Problems with a high computational component tend to be future technologies." #quotes #
- @cjhubbs BURN THE WITCH! #
- "About 7 hours and 30 minutes" #quote // REALLY, WINDOWS 7? REALLY? #
- @cjhubbs Copying some files. But it shouldn't take that long, #
- Wow, Google, way to keep trying to leverage Gmail into a social platform. Again and again and again! #
- Caffeine-eating bacteria discovered [Mad Science]
- Coming soon: make your phone your wallet
(Cross-posted on the Google Commerce Blog and Google Mobile Blog)
Today in our New York City office, along with Citi, MasterCard, First Data and Sprint, we gave a demo of Google Wallet, an app that will make your phone your wallet. You’ll be able to tap, pay and save using your phone and near field communication (NFC). We’re field testing Google Wallet now and plan to release it soon.
Google Wallet is a key part of our ongoing effort to improve shopping for both businesses and consumers. It’s aimed at making it easier for you to pay for and save on the goods you want, while giving merchants more ways to offer coupons and loyalty programs to customers, as well as bridging the gap between online and offline commerce.
Because Google Wallet is a mobile app, it will do more than a regular wallet ever could. You’ll be able to store your credit cards, offers, loyalty cards and gift cards, but without the bulk. When you tap to pay, your phone will also automatically redeem offers and earn loyalty points for you. Someday, even things like boarding passes, tickets, ID and keys could be stored in Google Wallet.
At first, Google Wallet will support both Citi MasterCard and a Google Prepaid Card, which you’ll be able to fund with almost any payment card. From the outset, you’ll be able to tap your phone to pay wherever MasterCard PayPass is accepted. Google Wallet will also sync your Google Offers, which you’ll be able to redeem via NFC at participating SingleTap™ merchants, or by showing the barcode as you check out. Many merchants are working to integrate their offers and loyalty programs with Google Wallet.
With Google Wallet, we’re building an open commerce ecosystem, and we’re planning to develop APIs that will enable integration with numerous partners. In the beginning, Google Wallet will be compatible with Nexus S 4G by Google, available on Sprint. Over time, we plan on expanding support to more phones.
To learn more please visit our Google Wallet website at www.google.com/wallet.
This is just the start of what has already been a great adventure towards the future of mobile shopping. We’re incredibly excited and hope you are, too.
Posted by Rob von Behren and Jonathan Wall, Founding Engineers on Google Wallet
- Canadian Tories refuse to send soldiers to help flood victims because they'd compete with the private sector
Shared by DanielDeboer
THE NUTTERS ARE TAKING OVER PART THE SECOND
The new Tory majority in Canada is redefining “compassionate conservativism”: Public Safety Minister Vic Toews initially refused to send more troops to help victims of the flood in Quebec’s Richelieu Valley because “the services you are requesting, if they were authorized, would place the Canadian Forces in competition with the private sector at the local and provincial level which could accomplish this type of reintegration work.”
The province said more soldiers were needed to help communities deal with water levels that were receding more slowly than expected and also to eventually remove heavy sandbags.
“As you can appreciate the role of the Canadian Forces is mainly centred on defence activities and therefore they must maintain a capacity in this area to deal with other events should they occur in the country or abroad. Moreover the services you are requesting, if they were authorized, would place the Canadian Forces in competition with the private sector at the local and provincial level which could accomplish this type of reintegration work,” Mr. Toews stated in a letter dated May 20 in response to his Quebec counterpart Robert Dutil’s request for more help.
- Chewbacca bento box
Life is precious. This goes without saying. Or does it?
With nearly 7 billion people on earth, you can argue pretty easily that life is extravagantly cheap. After all, anything that’s plentiful is cheap. That’s supply for you.
So how you do resolve that conflict?